Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: changes forthcoming  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
changes forthcoming
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
over the next week or so, time permitting, I hope to make some changes to the forum, encompassing a new theme, new frontpage image, new header, and software upgrade.   We are currently running a beta version of the forum software and the authors have a "RC" [Release candidate] out after months of testing, which usually translates into more security fixes and removal of bugs.   It sometimes translates into a loss of some function with previous modifications and I'm already testing that on the subdomain backup site I setup recently.  The people who offer modifications always struggle to catch up with new releases.   

Frontpage image:  the last couple months, I've been fortunate to have available, a subscriber photo taken (such as the present one and the one from the netherlands.    In the past I've used some subscriber car images as well. 
if you know of a photo you'd like to see on the frontpage, that perhaps represents a model we have not displayed in the past, or is a nice setting, just add it to this posting for consideration.   Thanks always for your patience in change and your devotion and participation to this site.   

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
Re: changes forthcoming
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:14:01 AM »
The upgrade forum version 2.0 RC1 was just completed.   the newer version is not compatible with the "unread" replies modification (previously on the menu) and I need to install another package for the frontpage section.
The new theme and header is installed, but not invoked until the above have been accomplished which require me to get into the databases.   I'm hoping the software author of the "unread" modification package updates his modification otherwise I'll need to hard-code another fix.   
Everything is fine to use....

Offline Stephen Dietrich

• Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Interior color: Black
  • Year_Model: 170 Da OTP
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »
I like the changes although I am unable to immediately identify if their are new posts. Stephen
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
I was mentioning that the upgraded software eliminated the menu item "unread".   I have to hard-code it into the templates (which I hope to do soon), otherwise, just as with the badges, there is a blue icon on the right side (the darker color shows new posts).  Alternatively, on the left side on each category, there is an "Unread Posts" link.  finally, there is also the "last posts" to the left column on each board.  Thanks for your patience.  I have to make changes incrementally depending on my daily work schedule. 

Offline Des

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
Yes as Jim mentioned you have the darker symbol to indicate new posts in a section, but you have to browse each section to see the new posts.

Offline Stephen Dietrich

• Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Interior color: Black
  • Year_Model: 170 Da OTP
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »
I guess if I would read your posts thoroughly, I wouldn't have made my comment about identification of new postings.
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
along the lines of the missing "unread" menu item, I've managed to code in the language the welcome, # pm messages, if any, unread posts and new replies (if logged in)

Example:
Hey, Jim Axman  you have 57 messages, 0 are new.   Show unread posts since last visit.   Show new replies to your posts.

Offline Des

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work Jim, it is looking very nice now.