Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: floating images  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
floating images
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »
in just a few minutes I'm going to edit the Display page so that the images "float".  For the longest time I've been trying a modification to the forum package that displays the thumbs by width versus underneath each other ; it's been driving me mad to the point I thought I would have to check into a weekend retreat for image rehabilitation.  There are no mods (modificaitions) available, probably because most sites don't post 5000 images like we do...., so I spent some time tonight trying to re-code the php  language in order to restructure the display template accordingly.   

One disadvantage to this, is that the filenames, filesize, and image pixel information will NOT be displayed...  but I'm willing to forgo those factors to keep from scrolling down 10 images underneath each other.  Becasue the file name is not displayed or a link, it also translates into the fact that if someone uploads a pdf file, it won't show as a link.   I think I can fix this, if we stay with the floating image display, AND, of course, we have the capability of embedding the pdf into the post itself.   Also, I am a bit worried as to HOW the floating images will display for the "mac" guys as well.   Maybe Henry or Stephen will weigh in on what they see?

I'll leave the change until tomorrow night, and see if anyone screams or objects. I can change it back no problem, but alternatively I hope that you'll see it as a positve v negative. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:20:51 AM by Jim Axman »

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
Re: floating images
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
it especially works well in cases where Des posts 10 images of a car (being the prolific harvester of internet stuff that he is....I swear the guy never sleeps)   such as in this example:

http://www.170220.com/170smf/index.php?topic=1287.0

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
Jim,
Did you ever come up with a solution to PDF files no longer being displayed as attachments?

I have attached a test PDF to this posting, but it is nowhere to be found.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:19:53 PM by Jim Axman »
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Stephen Dietrich

• Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Interior color: Black
  • Year_Model: 170 Da OTP
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »
Yes Jim, it works well on my Mac, nice fix. Stephen
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
  • Interior color: Gray
  • VIN #: 136.060-00325/53
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Vb
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
Scott,
I too had problems last night posting and viewing a PDF.  I finally had to scan it as an image and then post.

By the way, I like the floating images.
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »
in order to have the floating images, which I personally prefer over lots of scrolling, and enjoy the presentation of them being side by side, I had to give up the filename, which is why when you upload a pdf, it does not show.   

There is no work around for this as yet.....because having a file name associated with an image, probably translates into a disarray of the images.   I'll keep it at the top of the list to resolve....meanwhile, for the few of you that post pdfs....upload your pdf (remember the filename); SAVE, then click on "modify post" and put a link in the post (that way it won't open up automatically and will be like all other links. 

the path for the link will be without the ( ) >>   (http://www.170220.com/170smf/attachments2/filename)

such as these links in tech ref that I added for Lars:  (he uploaded the pdfs, I merely added the paths (the first part up to the filename) through modify post.

http://www.170220.com/170smf/index.php?topic=1379.msg5277#msg5277
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:52:33 PM by Jim Axman »

Offline GF

• 170Va
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:45:27 AM »
Jim,

I had to log in before any image would display on the front page.  As a guest there was nothing but the welcome sign and the sitemap with sub catagories to the left.   No pictures or text in the main body.

George

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
  • Interior color: Gray
  • VIN #: 136.060-00325/53
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Vb
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:08 AM »
Jim,
I just tried logging out and viewed the front page with images.  So my experience is different than George's.  I am running IE8.
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 04:18:42 AM »
George, thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like its browser and possibly cookie or options under the browser (tools).  It may even be javascript related.   Check the tools menu on your browser and reset to "default settings" under the advanced tab for IE7.  If you are running an old browser version (before Tabs) also try restoring defaults under the General Tab under Tools, internet options (so that your browser configures the latest updates of any website you enter on the www).  Are you using a browser other than Internet Explorer? I haven't tested everything in other browsers.

I forget the version of IE making it available, maybe IE6 allows for multiple tabs, which also means that under the tools menu, internet options, you can setup favorite pages to open when you first open your Internet Explorer browser.  Mine is setup to open several applications of the 170220 website plus an email browser.  Same is true in Firefox, Opera, etc....preset internet links to open in each tab.

If you are still having problems when you come back up north (after being in florida for months playing tennis), stop by for a brief visit in Frankfort, Ky and I'll configure your computer browser. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:43:07 AM by Jim Axman »

Offline GF

• 170Va
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 10:55:27 AM »
Hi Jim,

I am still using the older IE6 but how do you explain the frontpage appearing after log in.  How does logging in and out of the forum cause the front page images to appear/disappear?  In other words, how does logging in change my browser settings? 

George

Offline GF

• 170Va
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
OK Jim, I went into the advanced tool settings and reset to default settings but to no avail.  Also reset security levels to low but that did not help either.  Added 170220 to allow pop-ups but no luck.  The only way the frontpage main body shows images and text is when I log in.  When I log out it all disappears again.

Hopefully someone else is still using IE6 and they can give feedback as to how the frontpage appears to them.  But I still would like your cyber genius mind to explain why/how logging in/out changes things.  As you have stated before, "inquiring minds need to know".

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
well, I just went in and reset the permissions to none, so that all can see the frontpage (subscribe and guest alike).   If that doesn't solve the issue, then I am baffled (which doesn't much these days). 

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
Jim,
What file formats are allowed that are viewable?
I know that PDF's are not, and I just uploaded a .tif and it didn't show up either.  I then went back and tried to convert it to a .png and that did work.  Any quide lines as to what does and doesn't work?
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Des

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »
Quote from: Scott Montoney link=topic=1298.msg5351#msg5351   
Any quide lines as to what does and doesn't work?[/quote

.jpg and .jpeg are the most common file formats and these work fine.

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
Scott, almost any format will work; I can set them up in the admin, but only jpg, bmp, and png will show in thumbs.

If you are using anything else, just like with pdf, upload it, then add the path in front of the filename as a link in the post.   I don't believe you can convert a .tif to png, unless you use a paint program, meaning, just chaning the .3 ltr extension doesn';t always work.
In this post I loaded a .bmp and .png

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 07:43:59 PM by Jim Axman »

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »
Jim,
I used Adobe PhotoShop to do the conversion from .tif to .png, that's why it worked fine. 
I'll try messing with the links sometime when I have more time because I like the universal portability of Acrobat PDF's.
Thanks for the lesson, I may try it some time.
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »
Scott, I spent the day degreasing, and and painting the storage garage floor (with an oil base shiny grey).... the floor is 30x60, so the fumes are probably clouding my brain. 

You can still FTP, as you did before, any pdf and capture the URL for a link inside the post.   

Otherwise, upload your pdf, and add the link in your post using the following:

(http://www.170220.com/170smf/attachments2/ your filename)

Offline GF

• 170Va
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
Hi Jim,

I finally found the cause of the images not displaying on the frontpage.  There is an icon(+ -), barely visible, directly across from the welcome sign.  I clicked it and now have images.  It allows you to turn the images on and off.

George

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 04:28:03 AM »
George, it does not surprise me that you have figured this out...  I really did not notice this at all (and can't image why it's even there).....but nonetheless, thanks for bring it to my attention.  It is a relief, because since the time you posted, I was thinking there was a situation where guests actually couldn't see images because of a browser anomoly or something.

Was busy painting the floor of my storage garage yesterday, using an oil base battleship grey.  I think I destroyed a few brain cells from breathing the fumes.....and
will be moving your car over (about 40 feet) from the garage that I co-rent to my new one that is totally mine.     Here's a shot of my motorhome in the unit before painting.  Actually George, Fred was here about 2 weeks ago and starting paint a square of it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:33:47 AM by Jim Axman »

Offline GF

• 170Va
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
Hi Jim,

It was really bothering me also.  Kept fiddleling around with my settings and stuff.  I guess perseverance does pay off sometimes even when you don't know what you are doing.

The new unit looks great.  Tidier than my condo.  I have a new parts washer and blasting cabinet that we can add to your unit to clutter it up some if you like.