Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 1951 MERCEDES BENZ 170D Sedan  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Des

• Trade Count: (0)
1951 MERCEDES BENZ 170D Sedan
« on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »
1951 MERCEDES BENZ 170D Sedan

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/details?adId=95010705

Vehicle Description

1951 MERCEDES BENZ 170D, 1951 Mercedes Benz 170D sedan.The car needs complete restoration. For only 4,950. Ref # 15166.
Vehicle Specifications
Year:    1951
Make:    MERCEDES BENZ
Model:    170D
Price:    $4,950
Class:    Classic / Antique
Engine:    
Drive Train:    
Doors:    
Toll Free:    (888) 448-7519
Mileage:    
Ext./Int. Color:    
Transmission:    Automatic
Body:    4d Sedan
VIN:    
Stock Number:    

Offline Som

• the first day
  • Exterior Color: Almond, was Black
  • Interior color: Red Leather
  • Year_Model: 1936 or 7 170V 2 door offener tourenwagen
Re: 1951 MERCEDES BENZ 170D Sedan
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »
It's Friday afternoon, 4/10, and this morning I called the broker, Gullwing, about this 170D.  The "salesman" didn't return my call and I suspected he didn't see any reason to.  When I called the second time and did get to talk to him he told me it is sold.  I was pretty interested because I love diesels and  while there isn't much left of the floor, the exterior is better than many in that price range.  I have not been looking more than a couple of months though.   One who is looking for a project needs to get on this site every day and keep cash on hand.   :) 

There are what are supposed to be some 170S parts on eBay     Item number: 300305700069   
She has a child in intensive care and that is why she is not interested in parting out.  I have closeups of the door bottoms if anyone would like to see them.  Not bad. 

Happy Spring

Barry

Offline Des

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »
Hi Barry

Would have made a good project if you are handy with a welder,

although these cars are getting rare, as you can see they do pop up for sale here and there.

Kind Regards
Des

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
notice the add-on bosch heater is still in tact under the dash.

I have followed many cars for sale through Gullwing Motors in Long Island....they often use to appear on Traderonline.com.    Many of them seem to be in bad shape, but get sold nonetheless.  One I know of got shipped to Panama, the owner is bringing her back to glory. 

Offline Som

• the first day
Proper 170D engine
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
I am trying to determine what would be a proper chassis and body for a split valve cover ("early") 170D engine.  Since this was a 170D and not a 170Da, would it be correct to say it is a proper home for an early 170D split valve cover engine or is there another criterion to be satisfied such as production date or if it had been originally equipped with a split valve cover engine.  Or is this all just a matter of how proper one wants to be.  I guess my question is: to what extent is it improper to have a car with an engine with a different head configuration from the one it came from the factory with? 

Thanks

Barry

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
In this particular case, this would be of little consequence when picking a car for restoration, as long as the engine is more or less from the same period. Overall completeness and condition of the car are far more important. Take, for example, the 220 series, which originally had cast iron heads which tended to crack. Many have already been replaced with aluminum heads, which is what Mercedes would have supplied as a replacement part as soon as the cast iron heads were phased out. In most instances, I would not recommend keeping a cast iron head in the course of an overhaul.

Offline Som

• the first day
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:34:19 PM »
I know little about this but what comes to mind is the split valve cover means the top webs on the head are foreshortened where the injection lines pass over/through. resulting in a stress concentration.  So was the single valve cover head preferred and the split valve cover head design a design error that took some time to manifest itself? 

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:15:51 PM »
Seems like when they show up (which is really scarce) they are in 49 to 51 vehicles.
I'm not sure there is an advantage, and since we see the one head gasket cover 99% of the time, it almost leaves one to believe it was a certain import at a specific time.
Keep in mind that there were some diesels being made post war in Argentina, but most here in the US were probably brought over by US servicemen.....maybe they were for trucks mostly, I really don't know or have heard the answer.   Like most things, someday someone will show up with some documentation offering more light on this question.   

I would echo the response of Henry, as to what are important issues.   
I have a 170DS which has a 170DA engine in it.   I have no clue as to whether it was left over when the DS was produced or whether it was a transplant for the original where something went wrong.  We understand that Studabaker (or later MB dealerships) had rebuilt replacements ready on the shelf...and in serious cases, they would do a swap in the garage at the dealership.   In some cases, we understand engines were sent to the factory in Germany for restoration (usually indicated by a restore tag) such as Scott Montoney has in his car, but I believe in his case, the previous owner had the engine sent back (or the car?) to germany for restoration.

It's hard to tell a 170D, Da, and DS apart, except for a certain configuration on the driver's side to allow for column shifting ; maybe others have significant signs, but there is not much difference in my opinion.

Offline Som

• the first day
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
The condition of the external body parts was pretty good on this one.  Not too much being offered on Ebay these days. 

Offline Des

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:17:02 AM »
The condition of the external body parts was pretty good on this one.  Not too much being offered on Ebay these days.

Makes you wonder if they have all dried up or people are holding onto them until they can fetch a better price.