Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 1951 Mercedes-Benz Diesel  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Des

• Trade Count: (0)
1951 Mercedes-Benz Diesel
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:19 AM »
1951 Mercedes-Benz  Diesel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-Diesel-1951-Mercedes-pre-war-body-170D-original-or-street-rod_W0QQitemZ220394941210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item220394941210&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

1951 Mercedes Benz 170D 4 door sedan. For German market- not American market.  This is the pre-war body style. When Mercedes reopened after WWII, they brought out the old body molds and made the 1939 Mereceds once again. Each year they introduced a new model and in 1952 Mercedes had all new models. This looks just like a pre-war Mercedes. This car could be restored original, or with a few minor changes be a prewar car (a German WWII staff car), or would make an awesome street rod. It has the curves of the old 30's cars. It is a very pleasing style to it, sort of like a 36 Ford.

I bought this car from a man who purchased it in Germany in the early 60's when he was in the Army. He brought it home to Pennsylvania and then to Texas in the 70's. He told me he rebuilt the engine in the early 80's, he said it cost him $2,500 to rebuild. I picked it up about a year ago. Title is signed in his name. It sat in his barn from 80's until I bought it. He took some of it apart. Like you can see in the photos.

The car has some rust. The worst is in the lower cowl where the fender meets the body. The doors have some rust holes on the lower edges. The floor and trunk floor have holes at the lowest points. It is missing one inside door handle, one bumper horn, and the hood pivot at the cowl.  The car needs a full restoration. It was built for the German market so the speedo is in Kilometers. It has a heater and ash tray. The guages and clock are there. It has an Independent rear suspension, central lubrication system (you can lube the intire chassis from drivers seat) and driving light. The 60's Army license plates are still there and the "D" plate. In the 50's somebody replaced the signal "flippers" with electric lights. You can see one on the drivers fender. I have the original dealership body plate. One front wheel (brake) is sticking, locked up. I have the Bilstein jack. The parts off the car are photographed.

I would really like to restore this car, but I just got married and have too many projects. Everyone that has seen this car in person raves over how awesome this car would be restored or street rodded. The car needs alot of work, but would be an investment. As other Mercedes cars keep going up so will this one.  The last pictures are of restored 170D in museum in Stuttgart

Payment in full before car leaves my place. The car is in Baytown, Texas. You are welcome to come by and look at it.  Feel free to ask questions.

Cash or certified funds. All arrangments for pick up are the buyers responcibility. Non paying bidders will be turned in to ebay.

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
Re: 1951 Mercedes-Benz Diesel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
 I was just testing my pdf writer and captured the ebay listing as of today.

http://www.170220.com/pdf/1951_170Da_Baytown.Texas_04-13-09_Ebay.pdf

Offline Des

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »
Very good Jim,

I think it is important for us to keep as many pictures of these cars as possible, can be very handy for people restoring a car and wanting to see how a particular item or colour on a particular part looks.

On this car, sadly it would need a LOT of bodywork,

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
Someone was interested in car posted on ebay a few weeks sgo; the listening was pulled either by ebay or seller and the listing is gone

Offline strelnik

• Soon the restoration begins!
  • Exterior Color: grey but soon burgundy and black
  • Interior color: blue but soon burgundy
  • Year_Model: 1950_170S_D
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:42:18 AM »
Yes, I was thinking about consolidating the parts from a previous purchase with the one on Ebay to finish the restoration.

Darryl
Das Beste oder nichts!

Offline Paul70

• subscriber
  • Year_Model: 1951_170D
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »
Hello,

I just joined the forum and there is my car! I put it on ebay a while back, didn't sell, so I will start on it this fall. I know nothing about Mercedes but I have restored 20+ cars, so it's roughness does not scare me. I have restored wood framed cars before also.

The guy I got it from still comes over and brings me thing he finds about the the car. He says he has some photos of it from the 60's, if he brings them I'll post them on the forum.

Paul