Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: A few nice old Benzes  (Read 20039 times)

Offline vorkriegsmercedes

• (0)
Re: A few nice old Benzes
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
The 540K limousine with the chassis number 189381 bodied by Freestone & Webb.

• (0)
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
more

• (0)
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
Hans,

The chassis number on the Offener Tourenwagen in the pictures above is 169-406.  It was advertised for sale by Kienle in 2002 for 1.6 million dollars U.S.  It is supposed to have a number of unique features.  Three of the 12 got the split wind screen.  This car has a special dash & firewall, oversize 770k grosser brakes and a special rear axle.  It was eventually sold post-block by RM who did the restoration.   Very very nice car.

A.J.

Hello A.J , thank you very much for the chassis number and the information about the Offener Tourenwagen!!

I have seen the car in Essen Germany on the display of the German Oldtimer Dealer Thiesen, and I must say I like it very much in the dark color .
The front window is very rare but what do you think of the roof when it is open , it is totall gone!

The chassis number 169406 is mention in the Jan Melin book and it is the same as the car in gold now!! thank you very much

Offline alsancle

• (0)
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »
The 540K limousine with the chassis number 189381 bodied by Freestone & Webb.

As far as 4 door limousines go, this is not bad looking.   The British styling on the 540k chassis is hit or miss.  Half of them look very nice, and the other half not quite right.    I believe this car was advertised in Motor for sale in 1949 (as von Ribbentrop's car).   I'll have to see if I can find it in my records.

In the previous post, I forgot to mention the light blue 540k Cab A with right hand drive in the Nethercutt Collection.  That makes two that I can think of.   There seems to be many more of the earlier 540k Cab A with rear mounted spare built with right hand drive.  Perhaps this can be attributed to the relations between Germany and Great Britian towards the later 30s resulted in less orders for right hand drive MB.

• (0)
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »
On the dashboard of the Freestone & Webb 540K is a Little plate with Von Ribbentrops name!

• (0)
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
Hans,

I believe you have a relationship with Mirbach?  Perhaps you could find out the story behind this interesting "600K" that I guess was found in Russia?

http://www.mirbach.de/main.asp?main=auto_detail&ID=3176&subnav=1&preisgruppe=premium

A.J.

I think that the car is sold now, it is not longer on the website from Mirbach!!

Offline alsancle

• (0)
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
Hi A.J , this Mercedes-Benz 500K Cabriolet C built in 1934 and delivered in 1935 in London comes under the hammer at a auction in July.

Hans,  any idea what this sold for?

• (0)
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
No , I don't know!  Hans

• (0)
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
Hans,

The chassis number on the Offener Tourenwagen in the pictures above is 169-406.  It was advertised for sale by Kienle in 2002 for 1.6 million dollars U.S.  It is supposed to have a number of unique features.  Three of the 12 got the split wind screen.  This car has a special dash & firewall, oversize 770k grosser brakes and a special rear axle.  It was eventually sold post-block by RM who did the restoration.   Very very nice car.

A.J.

Hello A.J , thank you very much for the chassis number and the information about the Offener Tourenwagen!!

I have seen the car in Essen Germany on the display of the German Oldtimer Dealer Thiesen, and I must say I like it very much in the dark color .
The front window is very rare but what do you think of the roof when it is open , it is totall gone!

The chassis number 169406 is mention in the Jan Melin book and it is the same as the car in gold now!! thank you very much

In the movie Osvoboshdenie of the year 1969 is this Mercedes-Benz 540 K Tourenwagen an star, it could be the same car!

Offline alsancle

• (0)
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »
When thinking about the Corsica 500k,  I remembered that the Mayfair roadster sold for $2,530,000 (which also has an English body and righthand drive).   This makes me think that Corsica is going to do very well.  The car presents very well and in different colors and a fresh restoration could really be spectacular.

Well I was wrong about that one.  The Corsica bodied 500k failed to sell at a high bid of 475k.   Surprising in that it is a very stylish body and the Mayfair did so well even with right hand drive.   I recall that when I saw it 5 or 6 years ago that the restoration was getting old so perhaps the condition was also a factor.

• (0)
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2008, 07:11:08 AM »
Not sold????, well I thought also that this car bring a high price at the auction!!  Hans