Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Hermann Goering's Car  (Read 21084 times)

Offline Des

• Trade Count: (0)
Hermann Goering's Car
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:13:58 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic : Hermann Goering's Car
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: DesHay on April 15, 2008, 7:46 pm 
Hermann Goering's Car

Looks like it has seen better days, missing star, bashed up front guards, bent bumper

Posted By: curator on Today at 1:50 am | Post: 1 
several of us saw this car in Maine, several years ago during our first meet in Boston (when volker was the host). I used to have images in the gallery that is now gone, but still have the images, which I'll post again soon.
One thing we learned while visiting the shop working on the car, was a concept of "maintaining originality"....for lack of proper terms. In other words, many people buy a classic project and totally restore it....some think it destroys the charm, etc.... where as in some cases in may be the best route. Well, you would never do a total restoration on such a historic car as Goerings.....in that case they are doing a selection maintenance preservation. keeping it original and restoring it to look original, which has to be much more difficult.

You see the sign "101st airborne.....you may the story, the 101st airborne were the first to arrive following the winding down of WWII, and 2 guys bought the car for peanuts and now it has changed hands and worth millions.....
I call it "being in the right place at the right time".
Can you imagine? 

Posted By: JohnEllis on Today at 10:37 am | Post: 2 
Here are some photo's of the car from the 170-220 group meet.

-----------------------
John Ellis
1953 - 170Vb
1958 - 190 

Posted By: DesHay on Today at 10:48 am | Post: 3 
That's amazing, the car matches his uniform,
I'm sure when he become Reichsmarschall he designed his own uniform (as you do) and it was a pale blue colour.

thanks for sharing the pictures.

Posted By: prewarmercedes on Today at 6:14 pm | Post: 4 
Hello , nice photos....... but the color photos of the Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial Roadster is from a different car as the first black & white photo.
On the first photo we see the Mercedes-Benz 770 Offener Tourenwagen W150.

On the photo the both cars, captured by the US Army from Hitler's country retreat in Obersalzberg 1945, on the left the Grosser Mercedes on the richt the Spezial Roadster.

Edited by prewarmercedes : Today at 6:19 pm 

Powered By AEF 1.0.5 © 2006 Electron Inc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:10:53 PM by Des Hay »

Offline vorkriegsmercedes

Re: Hermann Goering's Car
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:20:31 AM »
Hello , nice photos but the first photo is from a Mercedes-Benz 770 W150, the other very nice colorphotos from the 540K Spezial Roadster.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:38:50 AM »
This was also one of Reichsmarschall Görings cars, a Mercedes-Benz 540K Cabriolet B.

Offline Des

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »
I think this is the same car as the blue one above:

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:47:09 AM »
this is a 770 used by Hermann Göring.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »
the same car

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:18:00 AM »
The same car with Hermann Göring standing in the front.

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:21:50 AM »
Goering?    When I was a kid, my dad used to talk about the German umlaut (?) 
What is the americanization spelling of Goering's last name....do you just add the letter e?
Reason I ask, is that server's do not like any other characters in a filename, such as / \ or exclamations, etc....and when I loaded the Goring filenames with the umlaut....it went crazy....I changed all the filenames to Goering......   
Not all that interesting, but thought I'd ask the experts
btw:  I setup these images in the famous car section.  Thanks guys for the image participation....

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
here the same car ( see the rear mudgards )

The German Umlaut is not used by emal adresses also so Goering is OK!

Offline Chuckl

• subscriber
  • 170V Cab A
  • Exterior Color: Tan and Cream
  • Interior color: Tan
  • Year_Model: 1938 170V Cab A
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 07:34:08 PM »
I saw and sat in one of Hitler's 770s here in Fla around 10 years ago. I met a member of out MB club and he invited me to his home to see the car. He had complete documentation, liberation by allied troops (unmolested) and given to DeGaull by a greatfull nation, donated to the French Vets association, toured France and Canada as a fund raiser, sold to private party and toured the US Fair Circuit (where it was molested) sold private party who was named Sam. Also documented with a picture of HH entering the LRdoor. The unusual wood graining in this picture matched the cars's perfectly.

The car's engineering was unbelivable! A body port had been opened in the rear pillar to show 3/8 or 1/2 steel plate. The LR door window had been shot at the Fair Circuit with a 45 cal without penetration. Beyond that I recall it had a backup gravity fed fuel tank in the cowl as well as backup magneto ignition. The 770V was huge. I tossed my pictures with the last computer.

I recall the owner had no clue, talking of towing with a truck to start it. What would you do with it? restoration costs of xxx$ would never be recovered. He could probably make a profit parting it out but what a loss!

Offline Des

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 12:47:03 AM »
I recall the owner had no clue, talking of towing with a truck to start it. What would you do with it? restoration costs of xxx$ would never be recovered. He could probably make a profit parting it out but what a loss!

You would hope one day something like that would end up in a museum, while MB might shy from the car because of its forum owner and not wanting to draw attention to their own involvement in WW2, it should be preserved and one day restored.

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
when we saw the Goering car in Oxford, Maine in Sept 2006, I recall something about a special hand-lever action gas priming pump (previously used on German planes) that Goering had Mercedes install in the cabin along the tranny driveshaft tunnel?  I notice it is visible in one of John Ellis's images above (next to the gear shift)

Here are 2 more images.....and unprotected rumble seat? Notice the rear bullet-proof glass?.  In one of the images, the old grey-haired guy with the white club shirt is me and the younger guy with poney-tail is John Ellis.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:44:08 AM by curator »

Offline red smith

• subscriber
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »
The 540K pictured was owned by DR. George E Bitgood JR. of
Middletown CT. for many years. Doc,s son Sam & myself did extensive work on this car, clutch & flywheel blown apart, repaired bullet holes, refinished body & painted it black, plus many other repairs. It was last shown in public at the 1966 NY. State Fair & put in storage thereafter.

Offline Des

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 08:26:30 PM »
Another photo and story

The 7th Infantry captured Hitler's Berghof near Berchtesgaden, Germany on June 4, 1945. There was lots of loot to be found there, and the 7th Infantry took it's share! One of the items "liberated" was Hermann Goerings Mercedes Benz. Our Regimental commander, Col. John Heintges, took possession of it, but in order to use it, it had to be repainted in U. S. Olive Drab with white markings. The picture you see is the result. Russ Cloer posing in the drivers seat for the picture. The Colonel liked to drive it himself on the Autobahn and used it to transport Army nurses between their station and his CP for dinner, dancing, etc., during Occupation Duty in nearby Salzburg, Austria.

Offline Des

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »
Hermann Goering (1893 - 1946) and his second wife, actress Emmy Sonnemann (1893 - 1973), leaving Berlin Cathedral in a Mercedes 540K, after their wedding.

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »
The car is a Mercedes-Benz 500K Cabriolet C not a 540K , the photo is from the year 1935.

The licenceplate number is  IA-104401

Offline Des

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 01:23:03 AM »
A few more photos from Hermann Goering's wedding

Offline Des

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 01:24:21 AM »
Another car with Goering, is it a Maybach? Unsure of the bonnet mascot

Offline Des

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 01:26:09 AM »
From the shape of the fold down top and the windows, this is a Mercedes, Hermann Goering in a snazzy hunting outfit!

Offline Des

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 05:22:44 AM »
I have been watching a documentary about Hermann Goering today and in one of the reenacted scenes it features this car