Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 1953 Mercedes Benz 170DS great vintage diesel  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Des

• Trade Count: (0)
1953 Mercedes Benz 170DS great vintage diesel
« on: January 13, 2010, 06:23:49 AM »
1953 Mercedes Benz 170DS great vintage diesel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-Mercedes-Benz-170DS-great-vintage-diesel_W0QQitemZ130358443329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1e59f7fd41

Wonderful 1953 Mercedes 170DS diesel. This is a great old car. I bought it a few years ago in Helena, MT, and drove it back to Denver without even a hiccup. It was restored some years ago. I do not know the actual mileage, but it shows just over 64K. The paint is decent but has a couple of dings and chips in it. It is quite chipped below the back window. The car starts easily and runs well. It is the incredibly durable and reliable old 1.8L pushrod diesel. The car has lived its life in dry climates and has no rust issues. The interior is very nice, as is the headliner. There are some things that don't work: trafficators, passenger side windshield wiper and radio. The shift linkage may need to be adjusted as going into second gear requires some finesse, although once you get the hang of it, it isn't really a problem. The car is a 12v system (2 six volt batteries in series). The chrome is generally good, but a few of the pieces (some of the side molding and bumper guards and radiator cap) have some pitting. Overall, the car is very straight and very presentable as is, and unless you're going for a show car (diesel sedan show car?) I'd leave it as is and just have fun driving it. It is really a clean car. I recognize that some of the pictures are kind of dark--they were taken when the weather was bad so I didn't drive it outside. I'm going to try to get there in the next couple of days and take a video of it so you can see it better. Please email with any questions, and good luck.