Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Central Lube System > A few general questions.  (Read 704 times)

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Central Lube System > A few general questions.
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
Hi everyone,
   As you may have noticed in some of my other topics, I'm in the process of trying to replace some of the rubber seals inside my CLS distributor blocks.  Several of my current ones are starting to break apart and I'm finding some tiny chunks of rubber in the lines, which is not good.

The workshop manual has a great description of the "Theory of Operation" and it all makes sense to me.
However, I do have an additional question or two.

I certainly don't want to have my car stuck in the garage while I'm trying to find these seals, but I also don't want to run the risk of possibly clogging up the oil passages with bits of hard broken rubber.  What would be the result of leaving the rubber seal out only while I'm tracking down replacements?  The way I understand it, I would not get the correct/expected "measured/metered" quantity of oil to the fittings since there is no way to pressurize the various hollow caps.  My guess is that there will probably be too much oil being distributed.  Besides dripping a bit more, I don't see where I would run the risk of a fitting going dry or not getting enough oil.

Does that sound correct or am I missing something?
Any additional insight or comments are welcome.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline CraigS

• My current project - Tatra 600 (Tatraplan)
Re: Central Lube System > A few general questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »
Since you have studied and understod the system, you will know that the oil is distributed on the up stroke of the pump, therefore if you do not push the pump down, you are not going to get any oil going through the system - with the exception of some residual oil in the lines, but it also takes pressure to force it through, so I doubt that you will get any oil dripping out - or at least any more than you might do at present. It takes quite a bit of force to get 90 grade oil through there.

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: Central Lube System > A few general questions.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45:52 AM »
Yes - The situation I was thinking of is when I do need to give it a pump.  It's at that time that I suspect I'll get a bit more delivered than what I need. 
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B