Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: New member needs help with 220  (Read 705 times)

Offline Burton220

• Trade Count: (0)
  • subscriber
  • Year_Model: 1955 220
New member needs help with 220
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
Dear members,

I am new to this forum and have recently acquired a 220 Cabriolet A, with which i am experiencing a fuel supply issue on a warm engine. I had some work done on the fuel pump using the Niemoller repair kit but despite adjusting the timing the cars does tend to heat up in stationary traffic. On a warm engine, the engine turns but does not fire up. Could this be a fuel evaporisation issue? If so, what could be done to overcome this.

Many Thanks,
David

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: New member needs help with 220
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »
If I remember correctly, when I got my car I had a problem starting the engine after I had been driving for a while.  For example, if I stopped to refill the gasoline tank.  That winter, I rebuilt the fuel pump, and carburetor.  I don't recall anything else at the time.  I have not had the problem since.  One thing you might do from a diagnostic point of view when you have the problem, is to remove the air cleaner and then remove the top cover of the carburetor.  That should expose the bowl with the float in it.  If that bowl is full of gas, then you can be sure you don't have a delivery problem up to that point.  You might also want to check that the various layers of the carburetor assy are all bolted together snugly and not allowing a vacume leak when heated up and not drawing the gas out of the bowl?
I don't know.  Maybe try cleaning and rebuilding the carburetor next?
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline fj76

• 1954_220 Cab A
  • Year_Model: 1952_300S CAB A,1960-190SL,1955 300SC roadster
Re: New member needs help with 220
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »
Hello David,

What is the amperage of your battery? If you are using a 6Volt battery you need about 60amps.I use two Optima batteries in my cars giving me 100amps. I had an identical problem to yours and this sorted it out. Also try pressing the accelerator all the way down when engaging the starter on a warm engine.

In reference to your engine heating up, check if the radiator pipes are not blocked and if the thermostat is working. I set the timing a bit on the low side.You can alway install an electric fan as well.

Regards,
FJ

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:10:07 PM by fj76 »