Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Electrical Question  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Michael Bonnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Brown over Cream
  • Interior color: Cream
  • Year_Model: 1950 170S Cabriolet B
Electrical Question
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
Hello,
A few years ago I had a problem starting my 1950 170S Cabriolet B after the vehicle warmed up, after taking it for a drive the vehicle would not start. I was informed that it could be the coil so I had it replaced and that cured the problem. I am now facing the same problem and was told that it could be the condenser, could this be the problem? This vehicle would not even start with my pouring a small amount of gasoline in the carburetor. With a light pust in 2nd gear and popping the cluch the vehicle started with no problem. Is there a way to check the coil and condenser to see if they are working properly?
Mike

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
When you try to start it, does the starter motor crank over the engine at normal speed or does it act "slow/sluggish"?
The fact that it starts right up when you push it and pop the clutch tells me that fuel is fine and that ignition is working.  What I'm wondering is if it is sluggish to crank the engine when hot, maybe there is such a voltage or current drop to drive the starter that it is then affecting the ignition?
Anyway, the problem I had was similar to your description.  When I stopped for gasoline, it was difficult to start again and cranked very slow.
My new Optima battery took care of that for me.  I have not had the problem since then.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Michael Bonnar

• Exterior Color: Brown over Cream
  • Interior color: Cream
  • Year_Model: 1950 170S Cabriolet B
Re: Electrical Question
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions, the battery does sound strong but that is another thing that I will check out!