Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: help!  (Read 4979 times)

Offline healewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • subscriber
    • Paul Noone
  • Year_Model: I do not own a Mercedes
help!
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:51:44 AM »
Hi my name is Paul Noone, I was wondering if there was anybody out there who can point me in the right direction for parts for a 1952 170s?

I reisde in Perth Western Australia for which I am told there are only about 3  170's here. Therefore, I suspect parts are going to be like hen's teeth  ::)

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks ;D

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Gray
  • VIN #: 136.060-00325/53
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Vb
Re: help!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:59:47 AM »
It all depends on what type of parts you need.  Let us know and the group will assist.
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline CraigS

• My current project - Tatra 600 (Tatraplan)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:52:39 AM »
I am in Sydney and may either have some parts you may need, or may know of someone. As John said, it all depends on what you need.

Offline healewis

• subscriber
    • Paul Noone
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
Wow  :o great news! Thanks for responding, I appreciate it

I need lots of parts as this car has been neglected somewhat over the years. I need:

Rubber driveshaft boots
Body to chassis mounting rubbers
Self lubricating system pump
Front suspension parts ( the stubs for the wishbones to locate and pivot are badly worn)
Front suspension bump stops
Fuel tank straps
A brake drum (it looks as though the car lost a wheel some time ago and has hit the ground and worn away the drum flange)
Track rod rubbers and shims

That's it for now but I'm sure once I start to dig deeper I'll find the kingpins worn etc  ::)

Thanks again and hope you can help me

Paul

Offline CraigS

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 04:30:00 AM »
I can probably help with a few of those things. The rubber axle boots are easy to find, both genuine and after market. The mounting rubbers can be refurbished with conveyor belt rubber (assuming you have the old ones), I probably have most of the parts for the central lube system, bump stops same as the boots, fuel tank straps I doubt I have, and the brake drum I will need to check if I have additional. Track rod rubbers and shims I also doubt I will have. I should be up in Brisbane in 10 days or so, so will try and have a look at what I have. It is a busy trip - I bought another 220s from Townsville, so am going up there to drive it back to Brisbane, and then hope to drive the 300b to Sydney. 

Offline braveman170

• Have a nice day !
    • http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=braveman170
  • Exterior Color: Green/Mittelgrün DB229
  • Interior color: Grey/Green
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Sb
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »
Hello,

I have some parts for you:

Body to chassis mounting rubbers, some used
Self lubricating system pump for 170S, ( not 170Sb )
Front suspension parts , many different parts
A brake drum , some used

For the suspension parts I want you to upload images of what you need

If your car is from 1952 I think it is a170Sb.
Does your car have floor shift or column shift?

Regards
Lars
1953 170Sb W191
1967 250SE W111 Coupé
1994 E320 W124 Convertible

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
As Lars stated, it is best to know what exact model you have.  These part numbers are for the 170Sb (W191) which started production in 1952.  Besides our members offering spare parts, the following are the MB part numbers and some other sources.  eBay is also a source of parts, but requires alot more patience for the wait.  I have also attached the parts pictures for the front suspension, not knowing what exactly you need.

Part                                                    description         MB part #       Source

rear axle boots                            split bolted type    1363510291   N / AV / MB
body to chassis rubber mounts                                                        N / AV / MB
lubrication pump                            Vogel or Argus      eBay
front suspension rubber stops                                  1813330065   N / AV / MB
fuel tank straps                                                         1834700040   N / MB
brake drum                                                                1834210701   N / MB
track rod (torsion bar?) rubber                                  1813230085   N / AV / MB
front suspension parts                    see attached parts pictures      

N = Niemöller                           https://www.niemoeller.de/preisanfrage-en/index.htm      
AV = Automobila Versand      http://automobilia-versand.de/shop-Thyssen.html      
MB = Mercedes Benz           try your local MB dealer  (in all items above MB was highest price)      

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:28:40 PM by John Ellis »
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline healewis

• subscriber
    • Paul Noone
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »
As Lars stated, it is best to know what exact model you have.  These part numbers are for the 170Sb (W191) which started production in 1952.  Besides our members offering spare parts, the following are the MB part numbers and some other sources.  eBay is also a source of parts, but requires alot more patience for the wait.  I have also attached the parts pictures for the front suspension, not knowing what exactly you need.

Part                                                    description         MB part #       Source

rear axle boots                            split bolted type    1363510291   N / AV / MB
body to chassis rubber mounts                                                        N / AV / MB
front suspension rubber stops                                  1813330065   N / AV / MB
fuel tank straps                                                         1834700040   N / MB
brake drum                                                                1834210701   N / MB
track rod (torsion bar?) rubber                                  1813230085   N / AV / MB

N = Niemöller                           https://www.niemoeller.de/preisanfrage-en/index.htm      
MB = Mercedes Benz           try your local MB dealer  (in all items above MB was highest price)

Thanks for that John.

I have used Niemoeller in the past, back in the 80's. However, I refuse to purchase a catalog just to see what parts they sell! It's like going into the supermarket and them asking for an entry fee, it's totally Dickensian and unnecessary in todays technological age. An online catalog isn't too much to ask........................ is it?

Offline Stoebel

• Year_Model: 1950_170S
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:21:10 AM »

Thanks for that John.

I have used Niemoeller in the past, back in the 80's. However, I refuse to purchase a catalog just to see what parts they sell! It's like going into the supermarket and them asking for an entry fee, it's totally Dickensian and unnecessary in todays technological age. An online catalog isn't too much to ask........................ is it?

I agree but they have put a lot of work in the catalogue which is a nice piece of information to have anyway...

Offline Stephen Dietrich

• Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Interior color: Black
  • Year_Model: 170 Da OTP
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
Do they have an online catalog for this model? I have used their online catalog foru '52  300.
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
Better than the Niemöller catalog, a MB parts book for your model will identify the part numbers (it too will cost you).  Best yet, is the Mercedes Benz "EPCnet Online" website which is available to those of us in North America from MBUSA at no cost.   After you register you can obtain all MB parts books on-line for post war cars including all the 170 and 220 models.  They do ask for a credit card, but it is no charge .... just verifies that you are from North America.

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/welcome.jsp for North America

I believe that this is also available in Europe for free.  You might try and contact Mercedes Benz of Australia to see if it is offered there.

Once you have the MB part number you can search on-line and get the best price from wherever.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:27:35 PM by John Ellis »
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline CraigS

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
You might try and contact Mercedes Benz of Australia to see if it is offered there.

Not offered here. Only way to gain access is to join one of the various MB sanctioned clubs, such as VDH, M-100, etc. Only problem with the EPC for the early cars is that all the parts lists are in German only and are not updated to the latest part numbers.

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 01:27:27 AM »
That is true that the EPC it is in German for 170/220 cars .... but so are most of the MB parts books and certainly the Niemöller catalog for the 170/220.

As for the part numbers, most vendors recognize the original number and so does Mercedes Benz.  I happen to have a parts "supercede" list and those part numbers are less reliable in finding a part than using the original part number when searching.
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
I agree with John. 
I give the original part number to my local MB Dealer parts department, and he researches it and gives me the current part number, availability of part, and cost.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Stephen Dietrich

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
I see you put down you do not currently own a Mercedes. Is this someone else's car and you are working on it? Stephen
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline healewis

• subscriber
    • Paul Noone
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
I see you put down you do not currently own a Mercedes. Is this someone else's car and you are working on it? Stephen

Hi Stephen, yes I am working on a customers Mercedes. I don't own any vehicle other than the one I use for work and a 9 year old Honda 1300 vtx.

After almost 30 years in restoration, the passion has been thrashed out of me somewhat and I have no desire to purchase a vehicle that someone else has restored as I would not be happy with it, nor would I want to buy a vehicle to restore my self as I have neither the time to do the works nor the money.

I do want to build my own car from concept to reality but that will have to come once I retire.  ::)

I am also the designer of a world land speed vehicle for which we are planning to target 1000mph! This is where my passion lies currently  :)

Offline Stephen Dietrich

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »
Thanks for your story, good luck with the speed record. I will be be looking for any land speed records being broken. Stephen
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super