Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: cloth material between wood and sheet metal  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Henkeis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1955 220CA
cloth material between wood and sheet metal
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
My 220 CA 1955 will be ready in the next couple of months (I hope) to have the wood structure installed.
In the old days cloth was installed between the wood and the sheet metal to prevent squeeking noises.

This was hygroscopic and would keep the moisture entrapped causing the wood to rot.
I have tried to find out what is being used nowadays and came across Damp course, cloth impregnated with linseed oil, tape etc.
None of the answers was definite like this is what you need to do!I even went into the Morgan sites as these cars are still made from Ashwood, but have not received a definite answer.
What is commonly used at this point of the restoration?
Look forward to a response,thanks,

Henk

Offline Ted

• Year_Model: 1939 230/W153, 1940 170v future porject
Re: cloth material between wood and sheet metal
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
I think the best will be to properly impregnate the wood. Nowadays there are plenty of chemicals that will prevent the wood from rotting and will keep the water out of it. Even if you use non-hygroscopic material, still there will be condensed water from washing, rain, even breath. And it will stay long, once reaching the concealed area under the upholstery. So, IMO proper wood /and metal/ treatment is the way to save the car from rot/rust.

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Gray
  • VIN #: 136.060-00325/53
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Vb
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
I ended up sealing my structural wood with clear polyurethane varnish.  I then attached an adhesive backed waterproofing membrane to the surfaces that the sheet metal is in contact with.  The membrane material was the stuff used for flashing house window and doors frames prior to the installation of the sheathing.  It is about a 0.5mm thickness so does have some cushioning effect.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:14:01 PM by John Ellis »
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »
We are coating the wood with epoxy, specifically West System using their hardener type for coating rather than for glueing. We have not been lining the joints with anything. I prefer not to have any cushioning between the wood and metal as it adds another variable to the fitting of the wood and aligning the various pieces. There are already enough variables in this job.