Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Differential for 220CA  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Henkeis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1955 220CA
Differential for 220CA
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »
The differential of my 220CA is leaking. I have purchased the rubber bellows ,but does anyone know who would repair the differential preferably in the Southeast.
Also visited Steenbuck in Germany. The main business is upholstery and leather based on the original colors. They have some interesting parts like the bolts. I took a box with me. Besides after market mirrors for the 220.They will ship to the US, but not small orders.Plan to purchase the leather for my car from them (hides from the Alps). I took a catalog with me.
After this I went to MBZ classics-Jever. A good selection of parts and I purchase most of my spare parts from them!

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: Differential for 220CA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
Why do you think you need to repair the differential? There are some things you can check yourself and you certainly can replace the boots.

I met a fellow at the 190 SL national meet who is supplying original style vegetable died leather. His family had a tannery in Austria and he seems to know the business. He has a selection of the MB colors.

Aeristoration  Christian A. Schmidt  cschmidt@aeristo.com www. aeristo.com  800 736 6201

Offline Henkeis

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »
Thanks Henry, I do have the new boots. Sounds like the differential aswell as the gearbox are quite strong. The car only had 56000 miles.I will check it out. There must be a seal kit for them.
I will check the leather supplier thanks.
I saw at one time people talking about Steenbuck. They have the rights to manufacturer some of the Graeka bolts based on Din 933 with 14mm wrench head.
I bought an assortment of M8 bolts with different lengths.
The upholstery is the next i have to look at as it takes a while. Any suggestions who does and is familiar with the 220CA? I would prefer that they still use the "old" materials and not just foam.

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Gray
  • VIN #: 136.060-00325/53
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Vb
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Steenbuck has a great assortment of leathers and the correct upholstery for both 170 and 220 models.  Unfortunately, they have not been interested in selling their products outside of europe.  This holds true for both their website and ebay store.

http://stores.ebay.de/steenbuck-web-de-Egestorf
http://www.steenbuck-web.de

John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline Henkeis

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
Steenbuck will ship to the US as long as the order is large enough.I understand as the paperwork is substantial to ship to the US and for small orders it is hardly worth it. I had lunch with Joergen Steenbuck and question him on it.It is easier for me as my brother lives in Europe and all my e-bay parts go to him and as I go to Holland and Germany three times a year I just take it back with me.
I was planning to purchase the leather for my car from Steenbuck.
Are there places in the US that will do the upholstery as it was done original
and is familiar with the 220CA? Plenty of places in Germany.