Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED - 1936 Mercedes 170V 2-door project  (Read 1290 times)

Offline mxl266

• Trade Count: (0)
  • subscriber
  • Year_Model: 1936 Mercedes Benz 170V 2-door
HELP NEEDED - 1936 Mercedes 170V 2-door project
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »
We are STUCK because of the following reasons:

1.  Clutch, Pressure plate, and throw out bearing
- I found a clutch and pressure plate listed at Rock Auto for a 1949 model photo and size listed "looks" correct for what we need.  I can't find a throw out bearing anywhere.

2.  Front brake lines
- We need to find someone to make these brake lines - I checked all the sources here in the Lehigh Valley and no one can match the thread size.  Found none on the internet either.

3.  Part of the Transmission (Gear box)
-  We need the section on the back of the unit were the speedo cable hooks up is broken, will need some one to make of these or try and repair it.

4.  King pin bushings for the passenger's side front steering
- Could not find them online - do have a Mercedes part number.

We don't want to give up on this project, but are starting to get a bit hopeless over these parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike in PA

Offline Henry Magno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: HELP NEEDED - 1936 Mercedes 170V 2-door project
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
You can't expect to find the right parts at your general parts places. Depending on the parts, even the Mercedes Classic Center might not be able to help if they are specifically pre-war. Fortunately with a 170 V, some of the post-war parts will substitute, but not all. Niemoeller in Germany has the the largest stock, I think. There are others.

Do you have the original pre-war engine and transmission? This matters because the clutch would be different from a postwar. The throwout bearing should be available from Niemoeller, but it's possible that the pre-war version is different as well.

brake line, the rubber hoses? The easiest thing is to convert to post-war style fittings if you have the pre-war style hose. A photo would help here.

The rear cover for the transmission, a photo of it and the whole transmission would help, to determine which unit it is.

The king pin bushings are available from Niemoeller. Pre-war and post war are the same. I think they have king pins too. The bushings will need to be fitted.