Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Sun Roof repair  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Gib Buckbee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Doors original Tan / Seats and headliner White
  • Year_Model: 1953 170S W136
Sun Roof repair
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
1953 W136 170 S has a black sun roof, which won't close all the way because it has been stored partially open by the previous owner. Hard to move at all. Latch is definitely a problem with wood a bit rotten where the metal piece attaches - came right out - screws rusted.

So where does one go to have this repaired - rebuilt????

It is all intact, nice cloth interior on bottom (inside) and black intact naugahide (or similar product) on top (outside),
obliviously someone had it restored at some point....just can't make the final two or three inches to close it.

Anyone have any experience with this? any suggestions?

Gib  (585) 747-1515

Offline Comrade Stalin

• Year_Model: 1953MB 220
Re: Sun Roof repair
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:43:21 PM »
Hello Gib, I'm trying to choose one from this list, but I need the size of hole. If it's wouldn't be to much for you could you please measure it for  it for me.
Regards,

http://www.sunroofsource.com/sliding-ragtop-folding-sunroof-kit-35-x-40/

Offline Gib Buckbee

• Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Doors original Tan / Seats and headliner White
  • Year_Model: 1953 170S W136
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »
As near as I can tell, the roof opening is 41.25 inches wide and 54.75 inches long, but t is hard to get an accurate measurement as there are tracks on each side, which would have to be removed for a more accurate measurement.
What I have given you is the measurement for the rough opening in the roof, not counting the side racks - the side tracks close it in about 1.5 inches on each side to perhaps 51.75 inches

I hope this is helpful.

Gib

Offline Comrade Stalin

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »
Thank you very much Sir. Really appreciated for you service...
But today I've received a worming from my friend who says if I cut the whole in to the roof it's going to collapse some days. Car with the original rug-top has to have some kind of support or different construction to have this size of whole on the roof and stay reliable. And I can't ignore this worming but really wish to have installed the Rog-top.  I don't know what to do here.

Offline mercrules

• subscriber
  • Exterior Color: Mercedes Blue
  • Interior color: Brown/Tan
  • VIN #: 187 110 2912/52
  • Year_Model: 1952_220 Sedan
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
I think the bigger issue is how to handle the headliner.  I installed a vintage (clamp in) Webasto that I purchased on ebay many years ago.  It literally took me years of watching before I found the right one.  Here is a list of what my requirements where.

1) Had to be a Webasto. (At some point, I realized that Webasto made aftermarket tops that look like the original equipment)
2) Had to clamp in.  I did not want to have to cut and weld.
3) Had to be designed for the old headliners (Bows).

What I found was a New Old Stock (from 1971) that someone in Brussels was selling off.  It worked out perfectly and I love the result.  When I get back home I will take some pictures and post them, so you can see.

In your situation, I think the top will work fine as long as it has it's own structure and it will accommodate the old style headliner.

Offline mercrules

• subscriber
  • Exterior Color: Mercedes Blue
  • Interior color: Brown/Tan
  • VIN #: 187 110 2912/52
  • Year_Model: 1952_220 Sedan
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of my 220 with the 1971 aftermarket Webasto installed.  Since it is a "clamp-in" sunroof, it supports itself and is very sturdy installed.  Might even be stronger then the original.

Offline Comrade Stalin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »
I mean body  may have Collapse. Cars with convertible body have different construction to have stronger strength and Withstand load and I'm afraid if I will cut the roof this going to be critical to the body's strength and Structural stability because My 220 never was designed for this kind of whole .