Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Engine block restoration (to bore or insert the sleeves)?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline porin 170/220

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1952_220A
Engine block restoration (to bore or insert the sleeves)?
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
So far I have not consider this option but need an advice from someone who have experience with this kind of problem.

Here is the description aof the problem.
I have an engine block which is at the outher limit of the first oversize at five out of six cylinders (that one have heavy corosion and might be that need to be bored to 3-rd oversize). Since I have all the pistons sets from standard till 3-rd oversize I am wondering what would be the best option:
1) To bore five cylinders to second oversize and insert a sleeve bored to second oversize into that one remaining six-th cylinder
2) To insert sleeves in standard dimension for all six cylinders and put standard size pistons in it

What is the preffered solution?
It is a W187 engine M180.920 with low compression head from 1953.

Looking forward to hear some good advice.

Offline Henry Magno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: Engine block restoration (to bore or insert the sleeves)?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
If you have confidence in the machinist, I'd say sleeve one cylinder and bore to second. Should you ever need to bore to 3rd, you can still do it. Sleeving all the cylinder costs more and gains you little. You also risk extra trouble if you add extra operations to the job.