Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: What kind of paint to use (water based or classic with thinner)  (Read 857 times)

Offline porin 170/220

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1952_220A
I need an advice regarding the type of paint to use on the car.

One technique is to use the colour with water base and in that case I do not need to use Glassurit 22 line for oldtimers and will get maybe more shining colour but nut sure if that is good enough for old timer cars.

As I am informed Glassurit 22 is a classic type of colour and it is used with thinner (prohibited use in most of the EU as environmentally non friendly lets say). This colour I would like to use to get it as much correct and close to authentic as possible.

What are the experiences with both types.
I would appreciate the advice before I am forced to make a decision - very soon.

Offline icanfixit

• Year_Model: 1936 170V Cab A, 1940 320 Cab B, 28 PI Rolls, 7 Lotus cars, 58 TR10
Re: What kind of paint to use (water based or classic with thinner)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »
The choice is about what kind of restoration you are doing. The decision is about what you want out of the car when it is done. Do you want a car that looks like it came off the line when it was new? Do you want a car restored better than it came out of the factory? Do you want a car that you will drive everywhere and at anytime? Cars that get used weekly develop a patina. Make you decision on what you plan to do with the car and what you will have no regrets about.

Chris

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
I can't advise on water born as we don't have to use it. We use both 22 line and 55-line base coat with clear. We did the roadster with base/clear, then did another car with single stage 22-line. I think the single stage is easier to get flat when you are wet sanding and buffing. If you have to make a repair later this is easier to do with base/clear, but I'm leaning toward doing all the non-metalic jobs with 22-line.

But maybe you have to use water base?

Offline Ted

• Year_Model: 1939 230/W153, 1940 170v future porject
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:27:42 AM »
Probably the best will be to find out what type of paint was used at the time of the manufacture of your car. I am pretty sure all kinds of paints are still available. Here is some general article:

http://www.protectall.com/artpaints.aspx

Of course, that is if you want the car to look like it left the factory back then.

Offline icanfixit

• Year_Model: 1936 170V Cab A, 1940 320 Cab B, 28 PI Rolls, 7 Lotus cars, 58 TR10