Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Convertible top wood  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Stephen Dietrich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Interior color: Black
  • Year_Model: 170 Da OTP
Convertible top wood
« on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:32 PM »
I know this is a "Hail Mary" but here goes. Does anyone know of anybody who can make or sells the wood for the convertible top? I need this for my '52 MB 300 cabriolet. I had someone working on mine, very slowly, nearly 4 years and has now vanished. He was also done but seems to have disappeared. This has prevented me from moving forward on my restoration and I'm tired of not making any progress. Thanks, Stephen
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline Henry Magno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: Convertible top wood
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
I don't have an answer for this question, just a tip. I have found that the rear wood bows tend to flatten out over time, even with the metal reinforcing band attached. We just disassembled a 220 Cab A top and when the metal band was unscrewed from the wood, the metal returned to it former curved shape. I've noticed more than a few cars where you can see that the top is flat across that bow, even on restored cars.

Actually my trimmer (who is also a woodworker) could make that wood if you have the pieces, but I don't know when he could get to it.