Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Vapor Lock  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Michael Bonnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Brown over Cream
  • Interior color: Cream
  • Year_Model: 1950 170S Cabriolet B
Vapor Lock
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »
Hello,

I just found out what the problem with my 1950 170S Cabriolet, the vehicle starts with no problem, after I drive the vehicle for a short distance and shut it down for about 20 minutes it will not start, if I let the vehicle rest for about  two hours it will turn over. The vehicle will start if I put it in 2nd gear and with a very little push and pop the clutch and it will start. I have actually tried pouring gas in the carburetor and was told that would make it worse.

Are there any suggestion how I can prevent vapor lock?

Michael     

Offline icanfixit

• Year_Model: 1936 170V Cab A, 1940 320 Cab B, 28 PI Rolls, 7 Lotus cars, 58 TR10
Re: Vapor Lock
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »
Vapor Lock is the gas boiling in the line before the carb. It prevents gas from getting to the carb due to the vapor not being able to be moved by the fuel pump.

Option 1 is to make it cooler under the hood. Get the heat out. Do you have vents that are not open? I saw a prop that kept the hood open about 1" and still was able to latch. It raised the hood up enough for the heat to go out the top. I had a set made for our Rolls PI.

Option 2 is to insulate the fuel line to keep heat away from it. There are wraps and sleeves that go over the lines to accomplish this.

Are you sure the problem is not something else? If the engine will not turn over when hot, you should check out a few other things.
if you have a temp gauge, what is the temp showing when you try to restart after being hot? What condition is the starter in? Heat is not kind to starters and wiring. Is the engine actually turning over and not starting? More info please?

Good luck
Chris

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »
Not knowing exactly what your symptoms are, I had an issue where mine would have a hard time just turning/cranking over after I would stop to refuel.
The main thing that helped me was the installation of a much more powerful battery.  I installed a 6V Optima. (At the same time I also had put in a new rebuild kit for the carburetor, but I don't think that was any factor.)
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Michael Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions, I will let you know if the insulation on the fuel line works.

Michael

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
Mike, Did you get your plugs changed and check out the rest of your ignition system?

Offline Michael Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
The plugs will be changed very soon Henry!

Thank you.