Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Correct oil weight for lubricating of leaf suspension w/ foot pedal  (Read 905 times)

Offline Terence Orme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • subscriber
Hello, My name is Terence.  I am new here and decided to join because I need help with my 1940 170v.  This car might be remembered by some of you making it's way out of CZ in 02'.  It's unrestored, runs and drives.  It's a standard sedan and color is black with what appears to be the original wool green seats.  I recently heard back from MB giving me the build information that the car was delivered to Budapest in March of 1940.  The person I acquired the car from in CZ thought it was a 1941. 
    What I wanted to ask today was this;  What is the correct type of oil / weight to use for the pedal driven lubricating system for the leaf spring suspension?  Some time back, the people I had work on the car added brake fluid to it my mistake.  Iv'e cleaned most of the reservoir out but now want to flush it really good with the correct stuff to prevent any further corrosion......
    Thank you very much.  I'll soon get some pictures of the car up and am really looking forward to learning more about these great cars  for which I am so grateful to own. 

Thank you,     Terence Orme   

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: Correct oil weight for lubricating of leaf suspension w/ foot pedal
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
My owners manual (revD) for the 220, states that the Central Lube System is to use the same oil as in the rear differential.  Basically 90W gear lube.

I believe an earlier version of the manual indicated to use motor oil.  In my opinion, the heaver 90W gear lube would be better.
 However, I'm sure that there is someone here with specific knowledge of the 170 that may offer better advice.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Terence Orme

• subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
Thank you very much Scott.  I had a notion to use that, but thought I should check first.  I'm sure that's more appropriate than actual motor oil.  I'm another operating without an owner's manual.  Again, Thank you. Terence

Offline roadster36

• www.mbchassisclub.nl
    • www.mbchassisclub.nl
  • Exterior Color: Blue
  • Interior color: Brown
  • Year_Model: 170v roadster 1936 / 170v 2 door /170v 4 door1948
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
Central lubricating system needs motor oil.
i use my old oil 15 w 40.

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
They changed to gear oil after the war. I would go with that.