Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 1950 170S ignition key steering column lock problem  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Gib Buckbee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Doors original Tan / Seats and headliner White
  • Year_Model: 1953 170S W136
1950 170S ignition key steering column lock problem
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »
I pilled the steering column and removed the ignition key device, as it wasn't working electrically - freed up the cam inside and it slides freely now, so electrically OK.
HOWEVER, the cam which I freed up is the same one that locks the steering column, and when you pull out the key it extends (locking the steering column)
PROBLEM: You can not insert the key when it is in this extended position. You have to push it back in order to insert the key and turn it. While I have it off the column - no problem, but this isn't how it is suppose to work???  When it is back on the steering column, you will not be able to manually push it back in so the key can be inserted.
So is there some trick to inserting the key when the steering column is locked - or am I missing something here??

There is no detailed procedure in the owners manual about key insertion - I have fiddled with this for hours and can't figure it out, unless there is suppose to be a button on the end which moves - mine is frozen, if that's it - but I am not sure that is how it is suppose to work.

HELP!

Gib

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: 1950 170S ignition key steering column lock problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
I've never run into this problem but it's possible that with the lock off the car the locking pin extends further than when restricted by the column itself. That might cause the key cylinder to rotate into a position where the key cannot be inserted.

Offline Gib Buckbee

• Interior color: Doors original Tan / Seats and headliner White
  • Year_Model: 1953 170S W136
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »
Nope, checked it on the column, does the same thing

At this point their is not much left to do about it other than weld up the steering column indentation so the cam doesn't lock the steering column.
I can't leave the key in the ignition switch all the time, and can't take a chance on getting stuck when I pull it out, by mistake.

I was just hoping that there was some bit of information I was missing, like pull the mechanism forward or push down on it, or turn the wheel to the left, or something?!@*....but I have tried everything and their is just no way to get the cam back far enough to insert the key again - puzzling????? All of these things would require a bevel of some sort and there is none.

I like to get things working as they were originally intended to work, but in this case I am stuck. I will just have to modify it. I can live with the steering column not locking. I don't know of any other model or brand of 1950 automobile that had this feature. This feature wasn't made popular until the late 1960's in the states.

Thanks for the thought, though.

Gib

Offline Stephen Dietrich

• Exterior Color: Yellow
  • Interior color: Black
  • Year_Model: 170 Da OTP
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
I would think, that after it locks, the key should be able to turn a bit more counter clockwise and then be able to be removed. Have you sprayed some liquid wrench into the lock and let it soak for a while? Just a thought on the subject.  Stephen
Stephen Dietrich
1952 MBZ 170Da OTP
1952 MBZ 300 Cabriolet
1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
1962 Porsche 356B Super

Offline Reinhard

• subscriber
    • 170erWerkstatt
  • Year_Model: 1953_170VB ; 170SB
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
I have put some pictures from the inside of the lock in the attachment. This maybe explains where your problem is located. Please make sure it moves free, there is just a spring behind. It has nothing to do with the electrical switch.

Reinhard

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »
I am uploading a PDF that has additional photos that I found. (I assume these originally came from John Ellis.)
However, I'm not sure that this is the same lock as your 170S.
Perhaps these shed some additional light on your issue.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B