Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 170 Sb interest  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Herb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • subscriber
170 Sb interest
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »
Hello all,

So I'm looking at a 1952 170 Sb for sale and I have some questions and would appreciate a little guidance from you wizend vets. 

I've restored and worked on 60s and 70s cars before, but nothing German or very old.  I can read and speak a little German, and I expect that will improve dramatically if I proceed...LOL

The car looks very straight and clean on the outside, and the engine compartment looks good...there is a little oil deposited on the top of the covers and some sprayed around the interior of the engine bay makes me think a leak somewhere on the topside.  The car starts easily and runs ok, but the engine badly needs a tune.  The clutch pedal had a long travel, but seemed to be solid when it engaged.

Here are my questions and concerns after an initial look-about, I have attached a few pics as reference:
* The VIN plate is easily read, where can I research the VIN and get an idea about the original build info?
* What should I be looking for to confirm the engine is the proper model, and numbers?  I recorded two sets of number from the block in the left side:
6G53
* There is an emblem on the left front quarter panel immediately in front of the door.  My picture is blurry, sorry...does anyone know what it is and if it is proper for the car?
* The body tag on the pillar in front of the front-left door...is this anything but informational?
* The interior was in good shape, reupholstered in what looks close to period style.  The rear door panels did not have any bottom piece...is this correct?
* The transmission and gear shift were very loose.  I'd expect more precision from the German engineers.  I suspect the linkage needs attention but the transmission seemed solid once it was in gear...anything else I should look for or suggestions?

The biggest concern is the gas tank.  A new plastic tank has been located in the trunk in the spare tire space with a PVC filler inside the trunk.  Very odd...
Is it possible to get a reproduction or original tank?

That's it for now,  any feedback is very much welcomed!
...this stuff is fun...
:)

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: 170 Sb interest
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »
Is this being sold by Worldwide Vintage Autos? I've had a few conversations with the owner of some years, and have a pretty good idea of what has been done to this car. I've never seen it in person, but studied pictures of it. My impression is that it's a good car.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss it: 978-372-1133 shop 617-527-1613 home 781-910-3337 cell.

Offline Herb

• subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:49:42 PM »
Is this being sold by Worldwide Vintage Autos? I've had a few conversations with the owner of some years, and have a pretty good idea of what has been done to this car. I've never seen it in person, but studied pictures of it. My impression is that it's a good car.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss it: 978-372-1133 shop 617-527-1613 home 781-910-3337 cell.

Hello Henry,
Yes, this is that car.  I will call you Monday morning if that works for you, please let me know if you'd rather I called another time.
Thank you!
-Herb
...this stuff is fun...

Offline Ted

• Year_Model: 1939 230/W153, 1940 170v future porject
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »
6G53 is the date of the engine block cast. Day 6, Month /A - January, B - February, etc/ and year 53

Offline Herb

• subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
6G53 is the date of the engine block cast. Day 6, Month /A - January, B - February, etc/ and year 53
Ah ha...very interesting!  Thank you Ted!
...this stuff is fun...