Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Side windows - how to fit rubber molding correctly?  (Read 354 times)

Offline twigren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Beige / Brown
  • Year_Model: 1951
Side windows - how to fit rubber molding correctly?
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:31:58 AM »
Dear friends,
Having big troubles fitting side window molding in right setting. Even if the rubber profile is mounted to maximum end into
Supporting frame/lift, theres a freplay (open hole, where rain defintely will poor - into the door inside.
Workshop manual doesnt give any good recomendations so I kindly ask you experts....
A quick solution would of course to seal with silicon gel, but as I aim for 100% original and perfection this will not be any good.
So, how do you align and fit the sealing of the side windows and avoid any water to sip into the left and right corners of the rubber?
/Thomas Wigren ,MB 170s sedan, 1950
Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
Re: Side windows - how to fit rubber molding correctly?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Since there is really no way to match the straight rubber with the curve of the chrome, it's going to leak a little. That's why they put drain holes at the bottoms of the doors. It's important to clean up the inside bottoms and paint, as well as make sure the holes are open. My recollection is that it's not a particularly good design and easy to get clogged up.

Offline twigren

• Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Beige / Brown
  • Year_Model: 1951
Re: Side windows - how to fit rubber molding correctly?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Yeah, and aftor hours of testing different positions and even calculating geomatric formulas (impossible things), I give up and agree. The engineers, 67 years ago, wouldn't excpect rain on these wonderful cars. With new rubber moldings I've improved the gap but still there's a gap....
This I will try to fill up with a slice of silicon, but I also understand Henrys concern it will, however, and in any case, poor some water into the door.
Have made the draining very open and clear from all dust and paint.
If you guys need any recommendations on window assembling, just make me a note - I now have at least 10 hours experience, haha! 😀😀😀
Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951