Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Stainless bumpers  (Read 3461 times)

Offline twigren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Beige / Brown
  • Year_Model: 1951
Stainless bumpers
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:11:01 AM »
Dear friends,
Just wanted to give you a recommendation for the stainless bumpers from Group Harrington.
I started renovating my old bumpers until it occured for me this would become very difficult, welding and finisching.
Just the rechrome would cost me more than a new set. Decided to go for the stainless steel by Group Harrington instead.
Made the order in November and paid around 1000 USD upfront
initially i recieved very good service, but later experienced several delays - and total silence.
At one point of time I thought I was fooled, and I would never ser my money again  (transfer was made to a Vietnam bank account...).
However, and after escalation I got in contact with the Director at Harrington.
He pushed things and suddenly, after 3 days I recieved my complete set of bumpers.

I am VERY satisfied with the bumpers. Quality is perfect and finish is on the same level as chome - and so much more robust better than original! Everything was there, even the rubber moldings and stainsless bolts. I attach  some pictures for anyone else who need new bumpers. If anyone needs more info or photos just let me know.

Note! The bumper insides where only painted with primer. Had to do the black color myself though. Further, and as an option yoy could order with or without holes for lighting and registration plate.
Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951

Offline twigren

Re: Stainless bumpers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »
Photos attached
Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951

Offline yan2947

• Interior color: Red Leather W/Black Piping
  • Year_Model: 1952 220 Sedan W187
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:18:08 AM »
I ordered mine a year or two ago and was very impressed with them.  My bumpers were shot and I had to paint them years ago so there was no re-doing my bumpers.  The cost and quality was pretty impressive.  I am still waiting for my interior to be done and then I will assemble my bumpers onto the car. 
1952 220 Sedan W187
1989 911 LS1

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
How are the license lights? Are they castings or made up from sheet stainless? Do they come with bulb holders or can you use the original ones in them?

Offline twigren

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 04:48:25 AM »
@Henry,
The lights (inside bulp holders) are not included however. The frames are, and you get the option of you want them to make holes for assembly of your original lights (and yes, they would fit). In Sweden it's law to have these lights, but I guess its not the same everywhere  :)

Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951

Offline Henry Magno

• Year_Model: 1952 220 Cab B, 1937 320 Sedan, 1937 320 Combination Coupe, 1938 320 Cab A LWB
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
I have a few questions about the bumpers. In the pictures they look quite free of waves. Are they in fact? Have either of you tried to fit original license lights or bumper guards to these? On the website, the guards look like they have the flanges almost flat to the bumper face, but in your pictures, Thomas, they look close to the originals.

I need them for a Cab A, so they would have to put on the brackets for the filler panel. If either of you could send me some additional pictures that would be great.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:06:12 PM by Henry Magno »

Offline yan2947

• Interior color: Red Leather W/Black Piping
  • Year_Model: 1952 220 Sedan W187
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 06:41:34 AM »
Henry, mine are not installed.  You are welcome to come take a look at them in NY if you are in the area.  My project is going slow.  Hopefully, this summer I will start to put things together.  Still waiting on a couple of car parts from the painter...
1952 220 Sedan W187
1989 911 LS1

Offline Henry Magno

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
I wasn't getting satisfactory answers from them. I offered to provide a template for the little brackets for the filler panel and an original license light casting to check fit, but in his reply he just sent me a photo of the back side. I've decided to have the bumpers replated. I sent them to LKQ/Keystone in Minnesota. They have a plant that has been mainly a bumper place, although they now do other parts. The prices are not much more than the stainless. I have used them before and the work has been good for the price. I doubt I would use them for other stuff. I'll report back. They actually plated the bumpers for the other Cab A we are doing which is a show car, but my local metal finisher did a lot of work on them before the went out there. They look very good, LKQ had a big head start before they got them.

Offline twigren

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 12:03:53 PM »
Henry,
Im sorry for late reply. Have been ill and in&out from hospital the past weeks. The car hasnt been worked on for some time now.

In regards to the bumpers I’m very satisfied. Would say they fit perfect and quality is great.
The shine maybe not 100% compared to real chrome but noone will ever notice the difference.

I can send you any photos you like. Just let me know.
Attaching some shots i did today!

Wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year.
Thomas
Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951