Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 170S-v B-Post Question  (Read 68 times)

Offline Ken Coupland

• (0)
  • subscriber
  • Year_Model: 1953 RHD 170S-v
170S-v B-Post Question
« on: April 22, 2020, 05:41:11 PM »
Hello 170 220 Team,
Returning here after many years (was on the old forum a long time ago)
I have owned my '53 RHD 170S-v since 2000, but sadly since its purchase I've done nothing with it...
Houses, Kids, Horses, Divorce and Work all seem to have gotten in the way of man's time alone in the garage with rusting tin!
Luckily, 20 years later the 170's survived all the above and is still tucked away safely at the back of the garage. (although I've actually not seen it for about five years, but I know it's still in there...)
So, why am I here again now?
Well life's getting sorted, Houses are (almost)!) finished, work is tickling along, wife no.2 is happy, horses are gone and kids are off happily doing their own thing, so now at 50 I'm hoping to move the 170 from the garage where where it's been all that time into the workshop....
I'm not saying I'm going to start work on the car this year, if I get it moved so I can see what I've bought all those years ago and make a plan of action for it's return to the road then I'll be more than happy (last on the road in 1992) 
So 1st question (of many probably) for you experienced 170'ers
How is the "B" post held into the car?
I can't get to my car as yet to see, but do remember it's got a kink at the bottom as my car's been involved in an small accident at some point in its distant past, the trailing edge of the front wing and leading edge of the back wing are probably an inch thick with bondo and it looks like the lower door hinge has taken a knock at the same time hence the misalignment.
I'm just staring to make a list of parts required, I have picked up quite a few bits over the years but now the real spend begins...

Any help gratefully received.
Ken Coupland
Sunny Scotland.

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: 170S-v B-Post Question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »
I can not answer your question directly, but I believe the service manual  for the 170S has a section on the Body and how to replace entire sections.  It might have some information, or even some photos that might offer some insight?
If you don't have the service manual, there is a PDF copy in our Documentation section of the web site.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B