Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 1953 170DS project for sale in Wimberley Texas  (Read 109 times)

Offline merkurmaniac

• (0)
  • subscriber
1953 170DS project for sale in Wimberley Texas
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »
This car was my dad's nearly lifelong project.  He bought it in the early 1970's in Ohio, from a man who had imported it from Libya in boxes.  He had never seen the car assembled.  He had lead bodywork done to the car in the 1970's in Houston, since that was the best way at the time.  The body is solid, but the paint will need work.  Car glass is complete.  It has the original engine and 3 speed column shift installed.  Brakes, suspension, exhaust, fuel, all done.  We drove the car around town some.  It was a great experience driving in the car with my dad after he had worked on it for so long.  It has installed a NOS wiring harness that I bought from Germany. 

My dad was very patient and precise, maybe too patient.  He was working on things like the windshield wiper system and trafficators, when worked stopped.

We have lots of information, parts, drawings, etc... that are loose.  The interior is un-restored and not in great shape.  The wooden pieces for the dash are in nice condition. It has the front seat in place.  As far as I know, the car is all original, except it has the improved fuel pump from the 180D in it.  Door cards, back seat, and other upholstery is in poor shape.  My dad was looking to have the outside media blasted and repainted, and then have the interior done, when he found that he had cancer.  He passed away about 6 months later.  That was about 4 years ago, and the car has not moved since.  We are selling their house and need to move on.  My brother and I are somewhat familiar with the restoration and can together answer questions you might have.  The car has been stored indoors since the early 1970's.

Asking price is $10,000 Includes the car, all the information gathered, manual, books, etc...all the parts for it, and perhaps a second spare OM636 engine and 2 extra transmission (unless they are sold separately beforehand, otherwise they will go with the car.)

Richard Thompson (same name as my dad, he was on this forum.)
713-859-2970

Offline merkurmaniac

• (0)
  • subscriber
Re: 1953 170DS project for sale in Wimberley Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »
Don't be turned off by the price, Its negotiable, especially if the car is going to the right person who will finish it and enjoy it.