Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: tyre size for type 220  (Read 53 times)

Offline murraymules

• (0)
  • subscriber
  • Year_Model: 1954 220 SEDAN
tyre size for type 220
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
A friend of mine has a 1952 type 220 with the original 4.5 x 15  non safety rims . What is the correct size radial tyres for this rim please ? and what is a good brand of tyre to buy?  thanks , Murray Mules

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: tyre size for type 220
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
I'm sure there are many different opinions on this topic, but since I also have a '52 220, here is my input.
First of all, I'm not sure what a Safety Rim looks like.  Three of my rims are similar and one is, I assume, is an older version.
I've never had an issue.
I drive quite a bit and also wanted a radial tire, but finding a radial with similar physical dimensions as the original bias-ply is a challenge.
I think a 185/80R15, or a 185HR15, are good choices.  I have had a set of each.  I buy my tires from "Diamond Back Classics" because they use modern production tires and will add the 2.5" white wall that I want.
This is not a common size and my last set had to be special ordered from Europe.
The two brands that I have bought were Federal and Vredestein Sprint Classic.
It has been 5 years since I last bought tires, so things may have changed quite a bit.
Another company that may have a size you need is Coker.  But I've had great luck with the Diamond Backs and they have always been very helpful sourcing the size I need.

Scott
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B