Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Engine problem...!?  (Read 38 times)

Offline twigren

• (0)
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Beige / Brown
  • Year_Model: 1951
Engine problem...!?
« on: September 13, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »
Dear friends,
Had a great summer and enjoyed some beutyful miles on the roads with my loved one (170S).
After some earlier tough struggles with engine, components and tuning my car runs very good.
Starts immediatelly and runs very ok.

However, during my last trup and all of a sudden (...long way from home!), the engine started to ”cough”.
Died but Restared again without any problems. Could then run maybe 15-30 seconds when the engine died again.
This repeated many times (maybe 20...) and I couldnt get home and had to be rescued by a towing truck. At the end it was basically impossible to move more than 10-15 meters before the engine died.,😥

Home again (a week after...) I started to look for any failures or any problems with leaks, problems, air, fuel or anything. I couldnt find a single issue.
The car runs perfect again. Have tried to let it run 20 minutes and no problem occurs!
How can this be? I suspect the fuel pump or potentially the carburator had been the issue..?
However, it is damn (!) impossible to repair something that is working perfectly...
And advise or good ideas....?!

Thomas Wigren
Mercedes-Benz 170S, 1951

Offline Jeff Apel

• (0)
  • subscriber
  • Year_Model: 1951 220 and 1953 220 projects a couple pontons as well
Re: Engine problem...!?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 04:56:04 PM »
My guess would be a coil breaking down.

Offline Ted

• (0)
  • Year_Model: 1939 230/W153, 1940 170v future porject
Re: Engine problem...!?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
Also check the distributor lid for cracks, the condition of the "graphite" inside, also sometimes the distributor capacitor may cause similar problems.