Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Cab A vs. Cab B: which to get?  (Read 303 times)

Offline jreinan

• (0)
  • subscriber
    • My Cars
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Grey
  • Year_Model: 1953 170DS
Cab A vs. Cab B: which to get?
« on: February 15, 2021, 02:39:13 PM »
I'm looking at a couple different Cab A's and Cab B's for sale. From what I can tell, the main differences are that the Cab A has some wood in the frame, a smaller back seat, and no back windows.  The Cab A is also about 30% more than the Cab B, and is probably more attractive with the top up.  Is the fact of all-steel construction of the Cab B something to consider, e.g., less of a risk of wood rot? Just trying to decide, I suppose, whether there is a good reason to spend extra $$ on getting a Cab A.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: Cab A vs. Cab B: which to get?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »
I own a Cab B.  You've hit some key points in your summary already. 
The wood can be a concern, and very expensive to repair.  So if you're not sure of the condition, be careful.  Maybe someone can offer input as to what to look for to evaluate the condition of the wood frame members. Something about door sagging and alignment is just one thing.
I don't know that I'd even call the rear bench of the cab A a "seat" at all.  I'm glad to have the full rear seat for my use. I like the option to take more than one extra passenger.
The Cab A does have more chrome trim, and the dash is covered with the same leather as the interior, where the Cab B is painted.
There were fewer Cab B's produced, but the Cab A is probably considered more "sporty" so I think that makes it more desirable and more costly.
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline jreinan

• (0)
  • subscriber
    • My Cars
  • Interior color: Grey
  • Year_Model: 1953 170DS
Re: Cab A vs. Cab B: which to get?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:25:24 PM »
Scott, thanks for the quick reply.  Funny -- I just happened to see the article on your car in the back issue of the Star!  Great story, great family history with that car.

I agree that the back seat might be a more useful feature to me than the sportier look and higher price of the Cab A.

Thanks again!