Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 6 volt alternator  (Read 1335 times)

Offline GF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 170Va
6 volt alternator
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »
The 6 volt alternator is now installed on the car and seems to be working like a charm.  It is putting out 7.7 volts at idle which I assume is in its proper range.  When I turned on the headlights the sky lit up.  Previously, the headlights looked like candles, now they resemble lighthouse beacons.

The alternator used for the conversion is a Delco-Remey 10SI with a Prestolite to Delco drive-end/faceplate conversion for a better fit.  This faceplate is smaller than the standard one that comes with this type of alternator.  This alternator delivers 35-40 amps.  I purchased it from Morris and Sons Rebuilders in Clarkston, Mi. telephone # 248-674-4212.  Cost was $110.00 .

The drive pulley is a 5/8" wide with a 2.75" diameter and 17mm shaft size.  This pulley is perfect for 16-17mm belt.  I purchased the pulley from speedwaymotors.com for $19.95 .

I installed the alternator using my original bracket in reverse.  The pulleys lined up perfectly.  My bracket appears to differ from OEM the bracket that John Ellis had posted in the previous thread "170Da generator", so I do not know if mine was OEM. 

I connected the alternator to the original wires that were hooked up to the generator.  The alternator has a two wire plug.  The red wire connects to the battery wire which was attached to terminal 51 on the generator and the white wire to the charging control lamp wire that was connected to terminal 61.

The alternator adjustment bracket that I used was of the universal type that I cut to size and attached to one of the engine support mounting bolts below the waterpump.

Offline GF

• 170Va
Re: 6 volt alternator
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
I forgot to include the part number of the pulley which is 910-16252.

Also a couple more pictures.

Offline volker

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
Sounds like a very nice upgrade in functionability. I wonder if the alternator could be modified to fit inside the housing of the original generator for an authentic look?

Offline John Ellis

• Administrator
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Gray
  • VIN #: 136.060-00325/53
  • Year_Model: 1953 170Vb
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:10:43 AM »
There is a company that has what is called the genernator.  Appears that they adapt Delco, Lucas, and Autolite generators.  No mention of Bosch.

http://www.gener-nator.com/details.htm

Here is another company - Powergen

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

There are also those that have done it themselves.  Looks like a lot of machining required.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/17135088QUKLyiiYRR
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29715

I looked into doing it, but could not find a 6 volt alternator that was small enough to fit inside the Bosch generator housing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:41:54 AM by John Ellis »
John Ellis
1953 170Vb
1958 190
2007 Porsche Cayman

Offline GF

• 170Va
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:27 AM »
I agree that the original setup  looks much better with the slimer generator tucked nicely on the side.  The alternator shop told me that the Delco is the only alternator that they can convert to 6 volts.  A couple of web sites that I checked out also use the Delco Remey, so it appears that is the only choice.  

The alternator body is much wider than the generator so I don't see any way of using the generator housing.

George

Offline r39o

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »
Painted black, it might not be so noticeable.

Putting alternators in is a good thing.  Easy to reverse later too, if needed.

Next is a better starter.  We do it for 12V pontons using an Audi 5000 1.4KW unit.  Wonder what better 6V starters are out there?

In the 6V Porsche 356 world, some people put in 8V batteries too.

Someday, though, 6V and 8V batteries may go the way of the dinosaur.  There are places like Eurotron that will rewind anything for a cheap price.  12V may later be what will have to be done.