Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: member list  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
member list
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »
Location is now on the member list (click on members if you are logged in... or the below link) .
Unfortunately, not many members have completed this field in their profile.   .... maybe I'll send out a mass mailing to all subscribers to update this; if I could identify the usernames, I could easily fill these in, but many usernames are not familiar. 

http://www.170220.com/170smf/index.php?action=mlist;sort=realName;start=90
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:10:56 PM by curator »

Offline hansvdc

• Year_Model: W18 290 1935, 230 OTP W143 1938
Re: member list
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »
Hello Jim,

I am also member from another forum and when I stay away I get this message:

Hello, HANSVDC
We've noticed that you've not been active on SMCars - Car Blueprints for quite some time now, and we miss you!

Could we not tempt you back?

If you don't remember your password, you can request it here: http://www.smcars.net/forums/login.php?do=lostpw
We hope to see you soon

Kindest Regards
SMCars - Car Blueprints
http://www.smcars.net/

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
Re: member list
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »
Hi Hans, and thanks for the suggestion.  This forum has a link under the logon that will email your password as well.  Speaking of which, all the passwords from subscribers on this forum, are encrypted ; I can't even get to them on the database server.  Following your suggestion, I could easily send out a mass mailing within minutes to all subscribers on the forum, but I have learned over the years, with another Club I started in 2000 (www.3-0-0.org) that IF people have no interest in participating, sending them reminder messages can appear irritating. I am registered on about 20 different software and club sites; I go there sporatically when the need arises.  I think the regulars who participate daily on forums will provide the  substance for that site, while others will visit when time permits. 

This morning we setup a Welcome board to recognize new subscribers. We had this on the reconstruction forum back in March and it received some mild success.  However, we also respect that some subscribers want to retain their anonymity with a username.   This weekend when I upgraded the forum software (which came with custom profile fields), I added fields for real name, model, and location, to also show on the member list (and to be forced on the registration process).  The admin staff is trying to build a member list, and when you have over 100 usernames, it is difficult to join real names, except by email address, and that doesn't always work either.  Along those lines, I ran a separate database (since our inception in March 2005) where aficionados and owners could subscribe with limited information.  In effort to migrate away from this, partly do to the fact that it was a separate registration and also required an additional registration to the forum, I decided to try and build a true memberlist as part of the Forum.   Now that the Forum is the main hub for people finding www.170220.com, they are either surfers or interested in participating in our group.   It cuts down on a few hoops in the process.   
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:51:22 AM by Jim Axman »