Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: New Forum upgrades  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Year_Model: 1936 Packard 120b
New Forum upgrades
« on: December 06, 2008, 06:51:55 AM »
at some point this weekend I will be installing an upgraded version of the SMF (simple machines) software; I'll try to put the forum in maintenance mode, but it may cause a slight delay in your posting or viewing at the time you enter. the upgrade is a desired major package which offers a few more bells n whistles (especially for our behind the scenes admin purposes).  it may change the overall theme to some extent,  but I'm guessing you all can adjust with little notice.   

three of the major changes will be :

(1) the ability to add custom profile fields - previously I had attempted this with a manual modification, which never did work right.  The ability to add custom fields means I can setup a true registry within this forum (using your existing subscription) and eliminate the need to redirect to a separate site.

(2) I've had the wish to add separate navigational links within this forum; to other segments of the website (gallery, sightings, references).  They will probably end up on the left side of the page and should be viewable in most boards.
This will help also in making the forum the key gateway to other parts of the site and probably serve as the frontpage.

(3) the new upgrade has more secure to prevent possible security breaches and penetration attempts.  Its a case of more is better when it comes to having to recreate the site because of malicious activity.  Currently we are getting several attacks through the registration (which we have reverted to by admin approval only) from IP addresses in Afghanistan.  Spammers and hackers are using various derivative usernames, but Des is monitoring subscriptions closely and banning those addresses.  Along these same lines, the new upgrade will allow for search engine spiders bringing us closer to google search by subjects, hopefully bringing honest surfers to the site.   

Not part of the upgrade but probably soon happen, will be the addition of new boards (such as the internet links has just been added).  There are pros and cons to more subdivision, but the overall effect has to do with your interests.    Putting everything into one (1) board can be good for a quick daily review and out scenario, but it also means everything into one place causing more surfing to drill-down to previous posts. Separating the board posts allows surfers to reach specific categories of their interest more quickly.  We have also learned recently that this software will handle 100s of thousands of posts (which effectively eliminates the need for an immediate archives within a given year).  When we backup the forum data and structure (daily), it will give admin more division to separate posts by category.   

As always thanks for your patience during restoration
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:03:46 AM by Jim Axman »

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
Re: location - Model
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
I was successful upgrading the forum software to the latest version with no hitches, but because of the change in structure of the new upgrade, I will need to work on some things and old modifications, which may require you to go into your profile and re-insert information.

One of the new features is Custom Profile fields.
(two I have setup (location/Model) will show on the memberlist and are changed in your profile.   Unfortuately some of the old mods will not work on the new version (as yet) until developers upgrade their modification packages.  One of those not working is the flags (not compatible with the latest version).  however, we do have location.  So, at this point, go into your profile and add the information for model and location.   

the old theme is not working 100%, its from a different structure, but I'll try to tweak it, if not, find another one compatible with the newer upgrade.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:55:52 PM by Jim Axman »

Offline Des

Re: New Forum upgrades
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »
I notice that the avatar has a little scrol boxes up and down

had a look at other themes and it doesn't appear to be an issue with them, just the one we are using at the moment.

Other than that, looks good!

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »
Yes, just this arrow blu one.  I think the index template has a parameter in it for the side bar.  I'll work on it after I decide to stay with it; currently doing something on another part of the site.  thanks for noticing and the feedback

Offline Des

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:04:13 AM »
One other small thing I notice....when you view the main forum page the
Internet Links section shows with 0 topics 0 posts,
however the other sections show totals for topics and threads.

Offline CraigS

• My current project - Tatra 600 (Tatraplan)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:50 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but the font used for the Mercedes Benz 170220 Club Website appears to be out of focus or blurred. I don't think my eyesight is that bad though !

Offline Des

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:32:17 AM »
I think it is chromed Craig

Offline Des

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 04:35:20 AM »
Personally I prefer the new logo we have now to the old one, as it more closely resembles the badges on the boot of the cars.

Offline Jim Axman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:10:46 AM »
The logo is something I create on another utility and code into the template. For some reason this pattern appears different for certain colors. For example the same program produced the one on the new gallery, but because it is blue, it has more clarity.