Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: Fuel Filters  (Read 104 times)

Offline Michael Bonnar

• (0)
  • Exterior Color: Brown over Cream
  • Interior color: Cream
  • Year_Model: 1950 170S Cabriolet B
Fuel Filters
« on: June 09, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »
I own a 1950 170S Cabriolet B and it will not start, my mechanic checked everything, the fuel pump works, he blew air through and I removed the gas cap and the air blew through.
Poring gas into the carburetor the car starts until the fuel is exhausted, is there more than one fuel filter in this vehicle, if so where should my mechanic look?

Mike Bonnar
Lambertville, Michigan       

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: Fuel Filters
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »
I don't know the specifics of the 170S fuel system.  I know there are many similarities with the 220 in general, so I'll proceed as if this was my 220.
There is a screen on the bottom of the fuel pickup line inside the tank. You might also want to inspect that line to make sure there is NOT a hole/crack that might be sucking air above the level of the gas in the tank.
You stated that the fuel pump works.   Is that check by hand, or in the car with the engine being cranked over? 
Does your fuel pump have a thumb lever that you can actuate?  If so, when it is pumped by hand, does gas flow out to the carburetor?
If it works by hand actuation, but not with the engine being cranked, then you would want to check the mechanical actuation from the engine to the pump for proper throw.
Does your fuel system have a valve/filter assy that lets you select between two different lines that lead to the fuel tank? (Two different length pickup tubes, where the longer one is considered the "reserve").
Mine has such a valve, and at one time, I had some issues with the seal inside that valve that had broken and was letting air get sucked into the line and not giving me a full flow of gas under certain loads.

"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B