Main Menu

Welcome Guest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Search

Author Topic: 6V Regulator  (Read 95 times)

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
6V Regulator
« on: April 19, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
Hi Friends.
For those of you that still check in from time to time, I'd like to have a discussion about Voltage Regulators.  In particular For my 6V generator system.
My voltage regulator mounts on the back firewall near the battery.
The parts book lists it on page #281, item #62, with a MB part number of 000 154 30 06.
When I got my car, the regulator had been replaced with a Bosch 30 020, which I believe is from a 6V VW.  Anyway, it has worked fine for many years.
It had started to develop a problem where, after the engine was running, the red light by the ignition key, would stay on, indicating it was not charging.  All I had to do was to tap the cover of the regulator, and the light would go off.
A few days ago, I took the regulator off and inspected it.  Found some pitting on the contacts.  Cleaned them up, and it is now working fine again.  But for how long??
I decided to order another voltage regulator as a backup.  But I am having a lot of trouble finding a source for a new one.
There are some used ones on ebay, but I'm not interested in buying an unknown condition.
Any options that I am not thinking of?  Is there a place that can replace the contacts?  I doubt it.

ALSO, I did some digging and found this old regulator in my collection of used parts.  I believe it is the original style, but there are no part numbers that I can identify.  I may just give it a try sometime to see how it tests.
I am attaching a photo of the old one.  There is a label/diagram on it that is badly damaged.  Would anyone have a better photo or a diagram of this?
I have a good idea how it connects, so I'm not concerned about that, but just interested in what is missing from my label.

Thank you,
Scott
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B

Offline Scott Montoney

• Administrator
  • (0)
  • 1952 - 220 Cab B
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior color: Red
  • VIN #: 187.013.04370/52
  • Year_Model: '52 220 Cab B
Re: 6V Regulator
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
Lars was kind enough to send this photo to me.
Thank you !
"Gertrude" a.k.a. "Troidl"
1952 - 220 Cabriolet B